Princeton Press International Standard Book Number - an unique identifier number, displayed in
barcode format on publications. Princeton Press is USA based Publishing Company.
What ISBN indicates
- It is a product number required to assist in internal processing and ordering while
- It provides access to bibliographic data bases used by the book industry and libraries
- ISBN can be applied by publisher of the book, author of the book if he decides to
the book himself.
What ISBN does not indicate
- It does not give any legal protection.
- No copyright protection.
- No statement on content form and documentation and distribution of the book.
Scope and Assignment of ISBN
- Monographic works (books) that are textual and/or have an instructional content
- Publications not intended by the publisher to be updated regularly
- Individual articles
- Educational instructions, films, videos including audio books not purely for entertainment
- Electronic publications, Mixed media text based publications
- Print on demand publications
- Set of volumes or packs of books
Products which do not qualify for ISBN
- Serials/periodicals/journals (these are suitable for ISSN)
- Journals, record books
- Videos, DVDs or other media for entertainment
- Documentaries on video/CD-ROM, DVD or other media
- Computer games
- Computer application packages
- Music scores
- Items available to a restricted group, e.g. a course book only available to students on the
- Non text-based publications
Benefits of ISBN
- Unique international identifier for monographic publications.
- Assigning ISBN replaces handling of long bibliographic descriptive records-saving time,
reducing staff costs & coping errors.
- Correct use different product forms to be clearly differentiated, enabling comparisons
between different subject areas, publishing houses.
- Facilitates compilation and updating of book trade directories and bibliographic databases.
- Fast and efficient method of ordering and distribution of books, managing sale system in
shops, supply chain systems, managing sales data, stock control.
- Ensures that the book is widely known.